Are you at wits end from wondering where the money will come from to keep your car insured? You are in the same boat as many other people in Arizona.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that the vast majority of car insurance customers kept their coverage with the same car insurance company for four years or more, and about 40% of consumers have never compared rates from other carriers. Many drivers in Phoenix could save as much as 50% each year just by comparing rates, but they just don’t want to find cheaper rates by getting comparison quotes.
Online insurance companies like State Farm, Progressive and GEICO continually hit you with fancy advertisements and it is difficult to ignore the propaganda and effectively compare rates to find the best deal.
It’s smart to check car insurance prices before your policy renews because prices change quite often. Just because you found the best deal on Tesla Model S insurance in Phoenix a year ago the chances are good that you can find a lower rate today. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because you’re about to learn how to quote online to properly buy coverages while reducing your premium.
If you are paying for car insurance now, you should be able to get lower rates using this strategy. Locating the best insurance company for you in Phoenix can be much easier if you know how to start. Although Arizona vehicle owners do need to understand how companies market on the web because rates are impacted by many factors.
When comparing car insurance rates, know that getting more free quotes helps locate more affordable rates. Some regional insurers cannot provide Phoenix Model S insurance quotes online, so you should also compare rates from the smaller companies as well.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer price quotes in Phoenix, AZ. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Cheaper Tesla Model S insurance rates in Phoenix
Some providers don’t necessarily list every discount they offer very clearly, so the list below details a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits available to you.
- Payment Method – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying in monthly installments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not necessarily a discount, but certain companies may permit one accident before raising your premiums if you are claim-free for a certain period of time.
- No Claim Discounts – Claim-free drivers get the best car insurance rates as opposed to accident-prone drivers.
- Membership in Organizations – Having an affiliation with certain professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on your bill.
- Employee of Federal Government – Being employed by or retired from a federal job may reduce rates when you quote Phoenix car insurance depending on your company.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. Earning this discount can benefit you up until you turn 25.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles prevent vehicle theft and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers without accidents may save up to 50% more than less cautious drivers.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few insurance companies allow discounts for buying a policy prior to your current Model S insurance policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. So when it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, companies don’t profit that way. Any qualifying discounts will positively reduce the premium cost.
Popular car insurance companies and their offered discounts include:
- GEICO includes discounts for good student, driver training, federal employee, defensive driver, daytime running lights, seat belt use, and five-year accident-free.
- Travelers may include discounts for payment discounts, hybrid/electric vehicle, continuous insurance, multi-policy, and IntelliDrive.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for 55 and retired, renewal discount, youthful driver, safe driver, and driver training.
- Liberty Mutual has discounts for preferred payment discount, exclusive group savings, multi-policy, newly retired, and hybrid vehicle.
- American Family has savings for defensive driver, accident-free, good driver, bundled insurance, and early bird.
- Progressive discounts include multi-vehicle, good student, online signing, continuous coverage, and multi-policy.
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies to give you their best rates. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. For a list of insurance companies who offer car insurance discounts in Arizona, click here.
Choosing Model S insurance is an important decision
Despite the high insurance cost for a Tesla Model S in Phoenix, insuring your vehicle is required by state law in Arizona and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific minimum amounts of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car. In Arizona these limits are 15/30/10 which means you must have $15,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Tesla has a lien holder, most banks will force you to have insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the bank may buy a policy for your Tesla at an extremely high rate and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also cover hospital and medical expenses for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability insurance, one of your policy coverages, also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If you have damage to your Tesla as the result of the weather or an accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Phoenix overpays more than $825 a year so compare rate quotes each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When quoting and comparing your policy, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are unique to you.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help highlight whether your personal situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- When does my teenage driver need to be added to my policy?
- Should I drop comprehensive coverage on older vehicles?
- What does PIP insurance cover?
- Is my cargo covered for damage or theft?
- What if I don’t agree with a claim settlement offer?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- Can my teen drive my company car?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but one or more may apply to you, you might consider talking to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
When to talk to a local insurance agent
Some consumers still like to talk to a local agent and that is not a bad decision The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this quick form, your information is submitted to participating agents in Phoenix who want to provide quotes to get your business. You never need to even leave your home because quoted prices will be sent to you directly. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND a local agent. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a particular provider, feel free to go to their quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Selecting an insurer requires more thought than just the premium amount. Below are some questions you should ask.
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Are they in the agency full-time?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
Once you have answers to your satisfaction to your questions as well as an affordable premium quote, you have narrowed it down to an provider that meets the requirements to service your policy. It’s important to know that policyholders can cancel your coverage any time you want so don’t feel that you are permanently stuck with any particular company for a certain time period.